About Me

My photo
Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
I have been crafting since May 2008, when in desperation to find an unusual birthday card for my Mum, I gave up looking in the shops and decided to have a go at making my own. I soon realised that crafting is addictive and I haven't brought a card since. In 2011 I completed my certificate in papercrafting as a result of the work I did as part of the course I started entering challenges on line and in magazines. I applied for design teams and also started making samples for Ooh La La Creations for their shows on Create and Craft. I have now completed my Diploma in professional crafting and most recently been runner up in the Papercrafter of the Year 2013 a competition run by Papercraft essentials magazine, I don't have a particular style I like to use elements from lots of styles and techniques, although I do love all things vintage. In 2014 I started to move more towards scrapbooking to take care of the huge family archive of photographs that were stored in my attic. I have continued cardmaking and Scrapbooking through 2015 and 2016 but have also become interested in off the page projects. I hope to be able focus on these in the future.

Tuesday 3 January 2012

2012 gets off on the white foot.


When I saw the challenge this week over at Die Cut Dreams I couldn't resist giving it a go. Design a card using only white and no other colours, relying solely on textures and shapes to give the card interest.
The card above is the result and uses materials from both ends of the crafting scale from luxury hand made paper to cheap copier paper.

I started by wrapping three layers of different ribbon - cotton lace, satin and organza around the bottom section of a piece of paper from the 'Artoz creamotions' range the design being 'glitter twine white', which had been cut to cover an 8" x 8" card blank. This panel was then stuck to the card blank using double sided tape.

I then turned to a box I keep all my try outs for new cutting dies in, whenever I add to my collection of dies I always do some test cuts on plain paper to see the results and keep these in a box 'in case they come in useful'. In there I found a number of flowers that had been cut from plain paper using the Tim Holtz tattered flowers die that had been part of a crafting bundle my husband had given me as a Christmas gift I added to these by cutting out some more flowers from white glitter paper using the die and from the remained of the piece of glitter paper I was able to cut some flourishes leaves using  Marianne dies. I also found a piece of vellum that I had put through the Sizzix using a Marianne designable cutting and Embossing folder. I stuck the vellum to the base panel in the top right hand corner using small dots of glossy accents behind the embossed areas so they wouldn't show through.



The Happy Birthday sentiment had been cut using the craftwell e-craft electronic cutter, which I had purchased with Christmas money from my dad. It was just cut from plain 160gsm card stock so I traced the letters in PVA and covered the sentiment in white glamour dust glitter and stuck this at an angle across the vellum panel.

I am a great believer that any 'new toy' should be used even if I haven't got a specific project in mind at the time and therefore also found in my little die cuts box a doily shape which had also been cut using the craftwell  from 160 gsm card. I used off cut strips of the same card to quill a flower to sit on the centre of the doily to add interest.


I then arranged the die cut flourishes,leaves and flowers on the top left and bottom right of the card mixing the glittered flowers and plain flowers to add interest with different textures and the centres were made using flat backed beads that I have had in my stash for ages.



The pearl pins were made using 'pearls' recycled from old jewellery and pushed in behind the flowers at the bottom right.

The finishing touch was a butterfly again cut using the craftwell and then covering n PVA and glitter before adding the teardrop shaped flat backed beads.


I really enjoyed the challenge of using just white and looking at combining textures and shapes rather than colours and patterns.

I am entering this card into the following challenge.
http://diecutdreams.blogspot.com/ - use only white

7 comments:

  1. What a fabby card Alli, love white on white. Your quilling is great, that's a pet hate of mine, love looking but hate doing! Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwww what a fantastic card using so many different textures and embellies.... It looks really good and I love your use of the vellum too!

    Thanks for joining in the White on White challenge at Die Cut Dreams - and good luck!

    Hugs
    Christine L

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, this is stunning!
    I love the quilling and all the beautiful details you've added. just gorgeous hun!
    hugs & blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous WOW creation, thanks for joining Die Cut Dreams challenge, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again Alli, lovely WOW card, there is so much going on and great tip with your test cuts - never thought of doing that before - more inspiration for me. Thank you for playing at Die Cut Dreams.

    Hugs Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card,love all that you have done,so very pretty!!!
    Trish Munro
    http://trishandtreasure.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alli,
    Congrats on winning with your gorgeous entry at Die Cut Dreams :)
    Have a great day.
    Hugs
    Lisa Walsh
    (Dreamtime Designs)

    P.S I have some blog candy if you're interested :) http://dreamtimedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete